He has four years of teaching experience. He has been working as a lecturer in the Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (ETE), University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh since September, 2014. He is also working as the Department Coordinator of the ETE department. Prior this he worked as a lecturer in the department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at Southeast University for five months. He earned his M.Sc. (Tech.) degree in Communications Engineering-Radio Communications from the Department of Communications and Networking at Aalto University, Finland in 2014. I have also worked as a Research Assistant for six months in Aalto University. He gained his B.Sc. degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering from the Islamic University of Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2008. He worked as a RF Engineer at Banglalion Communications Ltd., for seven months in 2011. Before that he worked as a lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering at World University of Bangladesh from June, 2009 to January, 2011.
To download the complete CV, click here.
Bachelor of Science, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering (ETE)
MSc in Communications Engineering, Aalto University, Finland, 2014
BSc in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Islamic University of Technology, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2008.
Wireless Communication, 5G, Big Data
- Design and development of a novel Backpropagation method for neural networks on TensorFlow.
- Feature-level and decision fusion of Satellite image and Social media data using machine learning
- Design and development of transfer learning method for classification and real-time flood mapping
- Design and development of Social media image classifier using CNNs in Keras.
- Design and development of Social media text classifier using NLP.
- Design and development of multimodal data fusion method (Image and Text form Social media).
- Multispectral satellite image classification using Ensemble classifier (SVM, RF, MLC, LR).
Achievements & Scholarships:
- Global Talent Individual, Australian Government , Data Science , May, 2020
- DAAD Scholarship for Research Internship at KIT , Multimodal Big Data Fusion in Remote Sensing for environmental monitoring , May, 2019-Aug, 2019.
- QUT Postgraduate Research Award (QUTPRA) , Multimodal Big Data Fusion in Remote Sensing for environmental monitoring , June, 2017-current.
- Research Assistantship , Preprocessing solutions for Telecommunication specific Big Data Use cases , April, 2013-September 2013.
- OIC Scholarship , Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Electronic Engineering , December, 2004- December 2008.
- June, 2017- current , Postgraduate Researcher , School of Computer Science, Queensland University of Technology.
- July, 2019- Dec, 2020 , Sessional Academic, School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science , Queensland University of Technology.
- May, 2019-Aug, 2019 , Research Fellow , Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Germany.
- Sep, 2014-May, 2017 ,Senior Lecturer, Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering , University of Liberal Arts Bangladesh.
- Sep, 2014-Jan, 2015 ,Adjunct Lecturer , East West University, Bangladesh.
- June, 2014-Sep, 2014 , Lecturer , Southeast University, Bangladesh.
- Apr, 2013- Sep, 2013 , Research Assistant , Aalto University, Finland.
- Feb, 2011-Oct, 2011 RF Engineer , Banglalion Communication Ltd, Bangladesh.
- Jun, 2009-Jan, 2011 Lecturer , World University of Bangladesh.
Voluntary & Extra-Curricular activities:
- Program Committee Member and Peer Reviewer of International IEEE Workshop on “BIG DATA meets CLOUD and VIRTUALIZED ENVIRONMENT (BigCVEn), 2015-2016.
- President, Queensland University of Technology Bangladeshi Student Association (QUTBA), 2019-20.
- Reviewer, IEEE Access
- Member, QUT Centre for Data Science
- Secretary, Queensland University of Technology Bangladeshi Student Association (QUTBA), 2018-19
- Secretary, Science and Engineering Faculty Higher Degree Research Student Society, QUT, 2018-19
- Representative School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, HDR student society, QUT
- Former department coordinator, dept. of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, ULAB
- Member, QUT Badminton, Youth Connect Cricket Team, QLD.
Key Data Science Skills:
- Neural Networks
- Decision Tree learning
- Predictive Modelling
- Machine learning
- Text mining
- Data Fusion
- Deep learning
- Random Forest
Key Interpersonal Skills:
- Problem solving
- Team player
- Presentation expert
- Positive attitude
- Quick learner
- Self confidence
Rabiul Islam Jony, Alan Woodley, "Multimodal Data Fusion of Remote sensing and Social media for Natural Disaster Detection and Assessment" in In special issue of Remote Sensing, entitled “Multi-Sensor Fusion Technology in Remote Sensing: Datasets, Algorithms and Applications”. MDPI (Submitted).
Rabiul Islam Jony, Alan Woodley, "Flood Detection in Social media Using Multimodal fusion on Multilingual Dataset" in The International ACM SIGIR conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval , online, July 21-25, 2021 (Submitted).
Rabiul Islam Jony, Alan Woodley, "Flood Detection in Twitter Using a Novel Learning Method for Neural Networks" in The Flood-related Multimedia Task at MediaEval 2020, online, 2020.
Rabiul Islam Jony, Alan Woodley, Dimitri Perrin, "Fusing Visual Features and Metadata to Detect Flooding in Flickr Images" in 2020 Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA). IEEE, Melbourne, 2020.
Rabiul Islam Jony, Alan Woodley, Dimitri Perrin, "Flood detection in Social Media Images using Visual features and Metadata " in 2019 Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications
(DICTA). IEEE, Perth, 2019.
Rabiul Islam Jony, Alan Woodley, Dimitri Perrin, Aishvarya Raj, "Ensemble Classification Technique for Water Detection in Satellite Images," in 2018 Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA). IEEE, Canberra, 2018.
Rabiul Islam Jony, Rakibul Islam Rony, Abiduzzaman Rahat, and Musfiqur Rahman, "Big Data Characteristics, Value Chain and Challenges," in 1st International Conference on Advanced Information and Communication Technology (ICAICT), Chittagong, 2016.
Rabiul Islam Jony, Nabeel Mohammed, Ahsan Habib, Sifat Momen, and Rakibul Islam Rony, "An evaluation of data processing solutions considering preprocessing and “special” features," in 2015 11th International Conference on Signal-Image Technology & Internet-Based Systems, Bangkok, 2015, pp. 224-231.
Rabiul Islam Jony, Ahsan Habib, Nabeel Mohammed, and Rakibul Islam Rony, "Big Data Use Case Domains for Telecom Operators," in 2015 IEEE International Conference on Smart
City/SocialCom/SustainCom together with DataCom 2015 and SC2 2015, Chengdu, 2015, pp. 850-855